JOB TITLE: TOWN TREASURER
REPORTS TO: TOWN CLERK
SUPERVISES: MAY LEAD OTHER WORKERS ON A TASK BASIS
SALARY: $60,000 TO 75,000
Performs administrative, accounting and financial reporting work for the Town; manages the investment of funds; serves as Town Treasurer; assists the Town Clerk on special projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Promotes positive public relations.
• Consults with the Town Council regarding financial policies and practices; Maintains liaison with lending institutions and banks;
• Assists Town Clerk with maintaining payroll records, incorporates payroll changes, prepares payroll checks, computes deductions, balances totals and summary figures, and posts to the general ledger.
• Processes accounts payable claims for approval and payment. Prepares periodic payroll and retirement reports; makes necessary payroll vendor checks including federal and state benefits, voluntary deductions and town paid insurance.
• Oversees treasury, budgeting, the general ledger, audit, tax, accounts payable and receivable, accounting, purchasing, real estate and insurance activities;
• Supervises the planning and maintenance of accounting systems including pre-audit, posting of expenditures, accounting controls, fiscal and capital budget, investment program, bond program and other related activities;
• Supervises preparation of statements and reports on financial affairs to administrative officials;
Directs preparation of revenue, cost, expenditure, debt and other statements and monitors expenditures and budget condition;
• Assists the Dept. Heads in preparation of the annual budget and advises them on fiscal problems;
• Keep the governing body fully advised of the financial status of the town, presenting a monthly report on the financial condition and future needs.
• Performs other related duties as needed.
JOB TITLE: TOWN TREASURER
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, SKILLS FOR SUCCESS
• Finance - Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of municipal finance. Ability to prepare comprehensive financial reports in complete, accurate, timely and understandable manner.
• Budget - extensive knowledge of approved principles and standard practices of budgetary and accrual accounting, treasury management, revenue administration, purchasing and budgeting. Ability to prepare and present annual budget and other budgetary documentation as directed.
• Communication - Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
• Confidentiality - Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Knowledge of or ability to learn payroll and employee benefits and policy.
• Customer Service - Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, Council members and the public.
• Ability to prepare financial reports and keep financial and official town records.
• Ability to work with and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and the community on a straightforward and equitable basis.
• Knowledge of Caselle Accounting Software is preferred.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Economics, or Finance with 5 years of Municipal experience.
Driving record MUST be free from serious or frequent violation.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as needed, including work in other functional areas to cover absence or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to otherwise balance the work load.